Where can people seek help for depression?
Dennis Lee, MD
Mission Internal Medical Group
If the situation is urgent because suicide seems possible, call 911. The depressed person might not realize how much help he or she needs. They might feel undeserving of help because of the negativity and helplessness that is a part of depressive illness.
Listed below are the types of people and places that will make a referral or provide diagnostic and treatment services. Check the Yellow Pages under "mental health," "health," "social services," "suicide prevention," "hospitals," or "physicians" for phone numbers and addresses.
- Family doctors
- Mental health specialists, such as psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, pastoral or mental health counselors
- Health maintenance organizations
- Community mental health centers
- Hospital psychiatry departments and outpatient clinics
- Community support groups, often hospital-affiliated
- University or medical school-affiliated programs
- State hospital outpatient clinics
- Family service/social agencies
- Private clinics and facilities
- Employee assistance programs
- Local medical and/or psychiatric societies