Missed or Irregular Periods - Home Treatment
There is no home treatment for missed or irregular periods. But the following information may help you find the cause of your missed or irregular periods:
- Eat a balanced diet. Being underweight or overweight can cause missed and irregular periods. For more information, see the topics Healthy Eating and Weight Management.
- If you are an endurance athlete, you may have to cut back on your training. Be sure to talk with your doctor about hormone and calcium supplements to protect against bone loss if you are missing periods. For more information, see the topic Fitness.
If you think you might be pregnant
Do a home pregnancy test if you have had sex since your last period. If the result is positive, practice the following good health habits until you see your doctor:
- Eat a balanced diet.
- Do not smoke or use other tobacco products.
- Do not use alcohol or drugs.
- Avoid caffeine, or limit your intake to about 1 cup of coffee or tea each day.
- Do not clean a cat litter box, to avoid the risk of toxoplasmosis.
- Avoid people who are ill.
- Take a vitamin supplement that contains folic acid or a prenatal vitamin.
If the home pregnancy test is negative but you continue to have pregnancy symptoms, it is a good idea to see your doctor to confirm the results. Practice good health habits until you see your doctor.
Symptoms to watch for during home treatment
Call your doctor if any of the following occur during home treatment:
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise
November 14, 2014
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
© 1995-2015 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Missed or Irregular Periods Topics