Together with the Mount Sinai Health System, Valley Health System offers the advances you need, and a few things that might surprise you.
Everything medicine can do:
- From the moment you are diagnosed, you will be cared for by a multi-disciplinary team of breast cancer specialists who collaborate closely on every aspect of your treatment, to form an individualized approach to care.
- Our team has expertise in treating all breast cancers, including triple negative and metastatic breast cancer. We have a robust clinical trials program and use genomic and molecular testing to guide treatment.
- We offer numerous clinical trials for breast cancer, including studies using new drugs to decrease the risk of breast cancer recurrence and to treat metastatic breast cancer. We also have studies looking at exercise and nutrition in breast cancer survivors.
- Valley offers genetic counseling and testing for women who are at risk of a hereditary cancer syndrome, such as a BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene mutation.
- Our partnership with the Mount Sinai Health System brings academic expertise to northern New Jersey, so you don't have to commute to New York City for your care. Our affiliation enhances Valley Health oncology programs by giving you access to more clinical trials, specialized physicians and coordinated, high-quality care.
- Our surgeons offer advanced surgical methods for breast conservation using oncoplastic techniques for the best cosmetic results.
A few things medicine can't:
- At Valley, we offer the best of both worlds: leading-edge cancer treatment available at larger institutions combined with compassionate, focused attention close to home.
- Most people diagnosed with breast cancer start with a visit to a breast surgeon. Our breast surgeons will see you within 1- 3 days of your call.
- We want you to be able to focus on your healing. That's why we offer comprehensive cancer support services that address the financial, mental and emotional aspects of cancer, in addition to your medical care.
- Our holistic approach to care assures you always have the encouragement and community you need, including a breast cancer nutrition and wellness coach, a variety of exercise and relaxation classes, therapeutic massage, and more.
What to Expect at Your First Visit
A breast cancer diagnosis can be overwhelming, but Valley's Breast Center team is here to guide you through the process. Below, you'll find information about what you can expect when meeting with your breast surgeon, medical oncologist and radiation oncologist.
- Valley's team of breast cancer specialists will start collaborating on your unique treatment plan before you even arrive for your first visit.
- Our breast nurse navigator will ensure we have all of your medical records, help schedule your appointments, connect you with cancer support services, and more. Then our multidisciplinary team meets and works together to recommend a detailed and individualized treatment plan. This plan can include options for fertility preservation if that is something you wish to explore.
What We'll Cover in Your Initial Visits
At the end of your visits with your breast surgeon, medical oncologist, and radiation oncologist, you'll have the answers to the following questions:
- What kind of breast cancer do I have, and what stage is it?
- What is the goal of my treatment?
- What is the current standard of treatment?
- What is the treatment recommendation?
- What will the treatment schedule be?
- What are the potential side effects of the treatment plan?
- Are there any clinical trials that I am eligible for?
- Who is part of my breast cancer treatment team?
- How do I reach my team if I have questions or concerns?
- What will my follow-up be?
Make an Appointment Today
If you have been diagnosed with breast cancer, Valley's Breast Center team is here for you. Valley provides the full spectrum of breast health services, from diagnosis and treatment to survivorship. At every step, patients and families receive the support they need to understand and navigate the complexity of a cancer diagnosis and treatment. Call 201-634-5557 to speak with a nurse navigator and schedule an appointment today.
Copyright © 2021 Valley Health System. All rights reserved.
WebMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment.