Health & Fitness Slideshows
Things You Can Do for Your Health Today
- Getting Fit While You’re Overweight
Fitness is much more than a number on a scale. Here’s how to find an exercise style you love and get the benefits of fitness, whatever your size.
- 10 Ways to Exercise If You Hate to Work Out
Learn how to get your heart rate up and build muscle outside of the gym.
- Best Exercises for Weight Loss
If you’re trying to lose weight, some exercises might be better than others. Check out these 11 choices you can put in your workout routine.
- Surprising Signs You're Not Moving Enough
An active lifestyle keeps you healthier. Here’s how your body may be showing you that you’re not moving enough.
- Basic Body-Weight Exercises You Can Do Right Now
Body-weight exercises use your body’s weight as resistance instead of equipment. Here are some you can do anywhere, any time.
- Benefits of Strength Training
You don't need to be a bodybuilder to benefit from strength training. WebMD shares the top reasons why you should incorporate weights into your fitness routine.
- Cardio Exercise: Good for More Than Your Heart
You might have guessed that cardio, or "aerobic," exercise helps to strengthen your heart. But did you know it's good for your health in lots of other ways, too? Learn about the hidden benefits.
- Calories Burned by Household Chores
Can you slim down while you clean up or do yard work? Ordinary chores like vacuuming, scrubbing, and raking leaves burn lots of calories through a process called non-exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT).
- Common Walking Mistakes and How to Fix Them
Walking is as simple as putting one foot in front of the other, but you can make some missteps. Find out how to avoid common walking mistakes.
- How to Start a Walking Program
Walking has lots of health benefits, but for most folks, it's hard to figure out how to make it part of their routine. Learn how to design a walking program and find out the best ways to stick with it.
- Stretches to Help You Get Loose
See pictures of the moves you need to make to get your body flexible.
- Ways to Improve Your Balance
Feeling wobbly as you walk or stand? Try these balance exercises to help you stay steady.
- Stretches You Can Do at Work
Looking for some quick stretches to do at your desk? Here are a few that require nothing more than things you can find in your office.
- Ways to Exercise if You Hate to Work Out
You know you need to raise your heart rate a few times a week, but you don’t like to run and the gym’s never been your thing. Here are a few ways to make exercise easier and more fun.
- Worst Things to Eat or Drink Before a Workout
You never want to go to the gym while your stomach rumbles, but here are some things to avoid having prior to your workout.
- Great Walking Cities
So you want to take a trip or maybe even move to a place where you don’t have to spend hours in your car. Where can you go that’s easy to get around on your own two feet? WebMD shows you a few of the top contenders.
- Workout Injuries: How to Treat and Prevent Them
You were a regular at the gym until a workout injury put you on the sidelines. Read on to figure out what happened, how to fix it, and how to prevent it in the future.
- What Are the Different Types of Athletic Shoes?
Learn about the kinds of athletic shoes you should wear for different sports, such as tennis shoes, cross trainers, soccer cleats, and lacrosse shoes.
- How to Start Strength Training
See pictures that help you learn the dos and don'ts of strength training.
- Fitness Mistakes That Can Sabotage Your Workout
Are you getting the most out of your workouts? Some common missteps can keep you from reaching your goals or even cause injury.
- Best/Worst Workouts, According to Science
Is your workout helping or hurting? Here’s what the experts say about some popular exercises.
- Why Sitting Too Much Is Bad for Your Health
Sit all day at the office? You might want to rethink that. Long hours in the chair are bad for your health. Find out why it’s time to get up and stretch your legs.
- Working Out When You're Over 50
As you get older, you'll have new things to consider about exercise. Find out what you need, why it helps, and activities well-suited for your workouts.
- How to Start Running
It seems so simple: Put your running shoes on and go. But start the wrong way and you can hurt yourself -- or be burned out -- in no time. Find out more about how to run yourself into good health.
- What to Eat Before and After a Workout
The right foods before and after a workout can help boost your results. Learn which ones are best, and which ones to avoid.
- Things You Can Do for Your Health Today
It doesn’t take a lot of effort to do things that are good for you. Check out a few you can do right now.
- 12 Habits of Super-Healthy People
Super-healthy people know that simple steps are all it takes to stay that way. Make their habits yours -- start today!
- Best Foods for Fitness
What should you eat before you work out? How about after exercise? Get ideas for powerful foods to fuel you through every move and to help your body recover.
- 12 Basic Yoga Poses
From beginners to yogi pros, anyone can make these basic poses part of a daily yoga practice.
- Slideshow: The 7-Minute Workout
The 7-minute workout can help you get and stay in shape.
- Best Workouts for Toning Your Body
Find the best workouts to help tone your arms, legs, belly, glutes, and more.
- Exercise: What's In It for You?
Thinking about working out? See some of the top ways exercise benefits your body and mind -- from stress-busting to cancer prevention.
- Slideshow: Fitness Tips for Beginner Athletes
Ready to start an exercise plan? See how to get in shape with these workout tips for fitness beginners.
- Must-Try Fitness Workouts
Bored with the same old routine? Check out some of the hottest new fitness programs designed to rev up and revitalize your tired workout.
- Slideshow: 15 Pilates Moves That Get Results
Flat abs are one highly prized result of a Pilates workout. Our pictures show beginning moves to help trim your belly and build long, lean muscles.
- Slideshow: Off-Balance Core Moves, A Whole New Way to Work Out
Want a toned stomach or a winning tennis game? Pictures show 11 off-balance core exercises to help get you there.
- Slideshow: The No-Gym Workout
This quick workout gets you into great shape at home without costly equipment. Pictures show the best moves for flat abs and total body fitness.
- Slideshow: Get a Green Workout
Make your fitness routine more green and eco-friendly with workout tips from this WebMD slideshow.
- 7 Most Effective Exercises
See how to properly perform seven exercises including squats, lunges, crunches, and the bend-over row. Good technique is a must for effective and safe workouts.
- Slideshow: The 30-Minute Workout Routine
Think you don't have time to work out? You do! Intensity is key, especially if you don't have much time. Get moving with this 30 minute "quickie" routine that includes cardio and resistance training for each major muscle group.
- Flat Abs Slideshow: 9 Tips for Flat Abs
Want flat abs? See how to get them, including step-by-step instructions for performing the best abdominal exercises.
- Slideshow: 7 Risky Exercises and Better Bets
Workout not working? Who has time to waste on ineffective, risky exercises? Not you. So ditch these seven moves which may not deliver the results you want -- and may even cause injury
- Slideshow: How to Build a Better Butt
Want a rear view that kicks butt? WebMD has the right exercises, cardio, and style guidance for a perfect butt.